Monday, March 17, 2008

I'm a Web Designer! Who Knew?!?

Like I mentioned before, my job at Adult Ed requires me to be doing more computer work than I've ever done before. My director even asked me to completely re-do the website using Dreamweaver (this heavy duty program with an even heavier instruction manual...which I may have only glanced at a couple of times). So, I said I'd post the link when I was finished so I could have all you computer savvy people give me your critique. I did all of it except for the "course programs" page. Our district web guy did that and he helped me put the site onto the server. (I never could have managed that by myself. Hell, my work computer didn't even have the required programs...he had to download them for me.) Why didn't I change his course guide? After spending a lot of time designing the site, I didn't want to re-invent the wheel and try to do something more complicated like how the classes are listed. And I wasn't going to put in even more time when my director came to me last Wednesday and said that the according to the state, they are going to streamline all adult ed websites to give them a uniform look so that people will understand that there is state-wide adult ed. Since I had already put in a lot of time and effort, he said we'd post my site until the end of the year, and then we'd change over to the cookie cutter template. :) At least it will get a chance to be seen, and I've logged experience points, but I'm actually glad that a professional will be taking care of it.

I tried to be very simplistic with my design, to appeal to the greatest number of people. The font is supposed to be papyrus (to match our course catalog); but apparently certain computers don't recognize papyrus and therefore it might look a bit yucky in a generic font. I apologize for that, and if it were up to me, I'd give everybody papyrus font so the website would look pretty for everyone. Overall though, I'd say it's not too bad, considering my entire computer experience could fit in a shoe box.

So here it is; enjoy and if you live in the area, consider signing up for a course, or offering to teach one.

http://www.fivetowns.net/subsites/adulted/home.htm

No comments: